Sunday, May 20, 2012

Breaking From Tradition

Read: Colossians 2:8-23

“And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.” Ephesians 4:30

There are churches that purport a “works” theology that substitutes our efforts for Christ’s work on Calvary. I believed their rhetoric until I realized that we are wasting our time by trying to earn God’s love by being good enough to deserve it. Even at our best, we deserve hell. All of us are unclean, and all of our righteous acts are like filthy rags (Isaiah 64:6).

Jesus willingly died to fulfill the law for us. Ephesians 2:8 tells us that our Salvation comes not by good works, but by faith. When we try to earn our right standing with God, we grieve the Holy Spirit, because we are putting on the shackles of the law of sin and death rather than relying on the law of life through Christ Jesus (Romans 8:2).

I am learning not to substitute saying the "correct" words, responding in the "correct" way and doing the “correct” things for walking in obedience to the Spirit.  These traditions have the appearance of effectiveness and wisdom, but they are full of self-imposed rituals, false humility and harsh regulations. In the end, they simply lack any success in restraining us from sinning or any true value in helping someone who needs a word from God.

I am attempting to stop, listen and obey the Spirit throughout the day instead. Even if what He leads me to do breaks with tradition or makes me feel uncomfortable, I would rather reap the fruit of righteousness than to stay within my comfort zone. I do not need to fear what any person will do to me or what they will think or say about me, as long as I walk in the Spirit. Pleasing God is my goal and I will not let anyone judge me except Him.

Prayer
Lord, help me to obey your Spirit’s inner promptings, even if I end up being unpopular. Help me to value Your approval over man’s recognition or acceptance. Remind me that there is nothing I can to do to earn Your love or my right standing in Your eyes, because You already won both of those for me on Calvary’s Cross.

Thought of the Day
I would rather stand on the rock of Christ than on the sand of tradition.