Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Singleness of Purpose!

Read: I Corinthians 7:8-34

“But I want you to be without care. He who is unmarried cares for the things of the Lord -- how he may please the Lord. 33 But he who is married cares about the things of the world -- how he may please his wife.” 1 Corinthians 7:32-33

After 22 years of marriage, I suddenly found myself single again. I enjoyed married life and made it my daily goal to serve my husband and family to the best of my ability. Therefore, when I re-entered the single life, I had a hard time adjusting and accepting this turn of events. Then I read this verse found in 1 Corinthians 7:32-33. I realized that God had a whole new ministry for me.

What Paul is saying here is that the state of Singleness is a blessing. Single people do not have to consider the needs of anyone else in praying for the Holy Spirit’s guidance. Singles go anywhere and do anything God directs them to do without a care for anyone else. They do not have to be home at a certain time or ask permission of anyone to attend an activity. If you are single, use this gift as your contribution to serve God with all your might.

All humanity, regardless of age or marital status, often suffers from disillusioned expectations. For instance a young woman desires a husband, children, and a home full of modern conveniences. She experiences constant disappointment when one date after another fails to produce the partner of her dreams. If she focuses instead on God’s will for her life, realizing that singleness is a gift God gives us to fulfill His desires on the earth, she will find contentment until God chooses to send her a mate and family.

Although we possess unfulfilled desires, we can still live a fulfilling life. As we focus on God’s will as our goal, this eliminates unrealistic hopes and expectations. Sometimes, we fail to receive our anticipated, idyllic objective. We discover the truth about our situation and realize our dreams are unrealistic and will never be fulfilled. Then disappointment settles in and we often get jaded about life. We develop a cynical attitude and we shut off our feelings and refuse to be used by God in any way.

Unrealized expectations also ruin relationships, especially if we presume some ideal will materialize without communicating our needs to anyone else. We expect our parents, mate, children, coworkers, employers, pastor, etc to read our mind and to move heaven and earth to meet our needs, even if we never verbalize them. We can accomplish much more if we are willing to request that our needs be met. Even if we do, the other person may not be willing to meet them, but as least we tried. Then we can leave the rest up to God.

Ultimately, no matter what marital state we are in, God’s will and not our expectations must motivate our actions and our emotions. As we find contentment in His will, He will provide everything we need for our eventual fulfillment (Matthew 6:33).

Prayer:
Lord, help me to learn to be content in whatever state You chose for my life. Help me to use my resources for Your glory. If I am single, guide me in how to use my freedom. If I am married, teach me to communicate clearly and to depend upon You to meet my needs.  

Thought for the Day:
Singleness is a blessing to be used for God’s purpose.