Thursday, May 31, 2012

Changing Your Focus

Read: Luke 12:29-34

“He will be the sure foundation for your times, a rich store of salvation and wisdom and knowledge; the fear of the LORD is the key to this treasure.”  – Isaiah 42:6

I want to tell you a secret!  It will change your life because it will help you to … Change Your Focus. I used to be a very negative, melancholy person, drowning in the depressing circumstances of my life. The intense dread I felt over the situations I encountered kept me living in a constant state of anxiety and tension. I lived most of my time with my stomach in knots, taking very shallow breaths. The situations deepened so much at times, that I felt like I would burst if I held my breath a minute longer! Does this sound familiar? Let me tell you how God changed this aspect of my life.

The Bible reminded me that Jesus taught us by example how to relate to our circumstances. He had the most horrifying of all experiences, when He faced the scourging and the cross of Calvary. As I prayed about my fears and anxieties over life, I realized that so far my circumstances had not yet killed me! Therefore, hope must be hidden in my circumstances somewhere! I wanted to learn from Jesus’ example, so I turned to the Bible.

Jesus, when He entered his time of prayer in the Garden of Gethsemane, focused on the upcoming pain of the cross and He began to sweat blood, as well as water. But then, He changed His focus from the pain of the cross to the joy that awaited Him back in Heaven. This is how He was able to endure the horrifying circumstances of the cross. He changed His focus! 

Paul learned this lesson also. Look at Hebrews 12:2… “Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfector of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and then sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.”  Paul suggests that we look to Jesus and follow His example.

Jesus kept His focus on eternal matters, and the earthly matters faded into the distance. He was able to endure the circumstances of a brutal beating and crucifixion by picturing His relationship with His Father. We too must take our eyes off our circumstances and put them on the joy that Jesus provides in the midst of those situations.

Here are some practical ways to apply this knowledge. As you go through life, pay close attention to your body, your thoughts, and your feelings. What kinds of thoughts preoccupy your mind? Have you taken the time to identify them? Feelings such as worry, anxiety, discontentment, and anger are the result of your soul ~ your mind, will and emotions ~ trying to communicate with you. Ask God to show you what is causing those feelings. Do you need to forgive someone? Do you need to apologize? Are you feeling guilty over some past event? Can you do anything about it? Are you concerned about the future? What are you worried about specifically?

The Serenity Prayer gives us a guideline here. Pray that God will give you the wisdom to know what situations you can change, and which you must leave in His hands. Ask Him for the strength to deal with the issues that He reveals are your responsibility and to turn the rest over to Him with an attitude of acceptance about them. You cannot change them, so praise God for them, in them, and through them. By doing this, you can walk in serenity.

What is it in your life that is causing you a problem?  Ask God to help you change the situation. If He does not show you how to change your circumstances, then ask Him to help you to change your focus about the dilemma, so that you can accept it as His will for you at this time.

Prayer:
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference. Living one day at a time; Enjoying one moment at a time; Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace; Taking, as He did, this sinful world as it is, not as I would have it; Trusting that He will make all things right if I surrender to His Will; That I may be reasonably happy in this life and supremely happy with Him Forever in the next. Amen. --Reinhold Niebuhr

Thought for the Day:
I guarantee that changing your focus from an earthly perspective to an eternal one will bring you joy unspeakable that is full of God's glory!