Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Keeping Our Focus on Jesus

Free stock photo of landscape, holiday, vacation, water


When we honor and respect the Lord as King of all, He is a sure foundation for us and a rich storehouse of salvation, wisdom and knowledge. This treasure comes to us through our "fear" of the Lord (Isaiah 42:6).

I used to be a very negative, melancholy person, drowning in the depressing circumstances of my life. The intense dread I felt over the situations I encountered kept me living in a constant state of anxiety and tension.

I lived most of my time with my stomach in knots, taking very shallow breaths. The situations deepened so much at times, that I felt like I would burst if I held my breath a minute longer!

Then I read in God's Word how Jesus reacted to His trials, especially the way in which He faced His scourging, crucifixion and death on Calvary's cross by focusing on the glory awaiting Him in Heaven.

I realized that this same glory awaits all authentic Believers. I started to look for the hope hidden in all of my circumstances. I learned to trust God for positive results from every trial.

Jesus changed His focus from having to drink the cup of God's wrath to atone for the sins of the whole world, and his momentary loss of our Father's focus on Him, to His rightful place on the throne at the right hand of our Father.

Paul changed His focus and placed it squarely on Jesus (Hebrews 12:2). He kept his mind on spiritual aspects rather than on earthly matters, in spite of his many trials and persecution.

We too can take our eyes off our earthly circumstances and put them on the joy that Jesus provides in the midst of each situation.

Prayer:
Father God, Your Word is truth and You sanctify us by it (John 17:17). We are heirs of Your promise (Ephesians 3:6). We find our rest in Your everlasting arms (Deuteronomy 33:27). Thank You for our salvation through Jesus Christ alone (John 3:16-18).

We praise You for giving us Jesus as both the fulfillment and the guarantee of Your covenant with us. We trust in You because You help us to walk in Your ways and to keep your statutes (Ezekiel 36:7), and You give us Your assurance by Your promises (2 Corinthians 1:20).

Thought for the Day:
If God does not show you how to change your circumstances, then ask Him to help you to change your focus about the dilemma, so that you can accept it as His will for you at this time.