Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Pleasing God with Our Life


Free stock photo of light, dawn, landscape, sky


As a newly saved, totally committed follower of Jesus, I did not want to displease God. Therefore, in my first few months after being Born Again, I made lists, using my trusty concordance to look up verses about what pleased Him and what displeased Him.

I diligently researched verse after verse, making two columns on a legal pad, so that I could fully comprehend what He wants from His Saints. I religiously adhered to even the most vague letter of the law (Matthew 5:18).

My heart was in the right place in desiring not to disappoint God; however, what I eventually learned was that no amount of striving could produce righteousness in me (Titus 3:5; Ephesians 2:8-9).

All of my religious effort to walk in holiness amounted to no more than a pile of old dirty rags (Isaiah 64:6). All of my determination simply built my house on the sand and gave me boasting rights, because of my accomplishments, that did not really belong to me (Matthew 7:26).

God finally got through to me and convinced me that I could accomplished nothing lasting or valuable by trusting in my own self-efforts. Only as I drew near to God, and resisted Satan, could I walk in freedom and truly please God (James 4:7-8).

I learned that the real key is to walk in the Spirit each moment of the day. Listening to His directions and following His peace takes practice; but once learned, it turns into a lifetime habit that results in righteousness, peace and joy (Romans 14:17).

Prayer:
Father God, our old way of life is gone forever. You made everything completely new by Jesus' sacrifice on Calvary's cross (2 Corinthians 5:17; Romans 6:23). Thank You for ordering our days and blessing us in every area of our life as we trust in You (Psalm 139:16; 2 Corinthians 9:8).

Your ways are perfect. Your Son dwells within us and is the God of truth with no iniquity in Him (Deuteronomy 32:4). Thank You for drawing us closer to You, for filling us with a fresh union with Your Spirit, and for blessing us in each new day beyond anything we could ever imagine.

Thought for the Day:
The Spirit of God empowers us, fills us, directs us, comforts us, and enables us to shun evil and honor God with all of our thoughts, words, emotions and actions.