Thursday, February 15, 2018

God in the Details

Trees Under Blue Sky during Daytime



You have heard it said that some people ”wear many hats". This implies that they have several "irons in the fire" - they are involved in many different aspects in their ministry, hobbies, vocation or as a stay-at-home parent.

Well, I wear many different gloves! I am part owner of a café, and I am a "jack of all trades." Therefore, I wear many gloves. For instance, I continually wear gloves if I have an open wound on my fingers or hand.

On top of that, I add kitchen gloves when I wash the dishes. When I prep food for the cook, I wear food prep gloves to prevent contact between my hands and the food.

I continually switch back and forth between food prep gloves and dish washing gloves all day long. Although we switch menu and food products when lunch time rolls around, my protocol is still the same - switching gloves with each new task.

When I make the soup of the day, I am not required to wear gloves, since the items that I chop and prepare will be cooked. Another respite from changing gloves is when we can use tongs to retrieve products for certain menu items.

Also, we are required to use different chopping surfaces for different types of food. The government requires that we use one for pork, another one for chicken, a separate one for beef and a completely different surface for vegetables.

My routine is often laughable because I continually switch both gloves and chopping boards. However, one good thing that never changes is the dedicated, positive and efficient staff with which I work.

We all love each other and really care about one another. We help each other out, cover for each other and do one another's job during breaks when we have the time. This makes the demands of running a restaurant more enjoyable.

Prayer:
Father God, we are so glad that You are in the details of our life. Thank You for showing us the humor in the tedious tasks that make up the majority of our day. Use us for Your glory in every situation in which we are involved. Let our light shine in such a way that others will see our works and give You all of the glory.

We thank You for Your love, care and provision for us from Your glorious riches (Psalm 55:22; Philippians 4:19). We live in continual worship with each of Your Saints of Your holiness, benevolence, protection and intimacy. We give you all of the praise and glory that is due to Your name.

Thought for the Day:
People who wear too many different hats (or gloves) often succumb to fatigue, stress and physical ailments; doing one thing, and doing it well is actually the best way to live.