Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Healing During Grief

shallow focus photography of purple carnation flowers




During our lifetime, we may experience the loss of relationships, cherished pets, important material possessions, health, financial gains, etc. and it is important to allow our soul to mourn each one. This may take time, but it is vitally important and should not be hurried.

Attempting to ignore our pain in grief, multiplies our sorrow. We hide it away in our soul, but it resurfaces at times when we least expect it. Therefore, it is better for us to face our sorrow, fear, loneliness, etc. and to realize that these are normal reactions to loss that we all experience.

God is always in the midst of us during our sorrows. There is no disgrace is our reaction to loss. We all grieve in different ways because of our personality and our ability to cope with negative circumstances. If we experience reoccurring loss in our life, it is especially important to allow our self to grieve those injuries as they occur.

Sadness is often overwhelming at first, but it is part of the process of grieving that brings healing. Expressing our grief to a mentor, counselor, or writing about the events and our feelings in our journal gives us the opportunity to eventually improve our outlook and to recover an even greater measure of peace and joy in our life.

Crying is never a sign of weakness, and we do not have to hold in our tears in order to be strong for others. In fact, we are a better example to them, and we help them to heal from their grief by showing them that there is no humiliation in shedding our tears.

Expressing how we truly feel is helpful both to us and to other people. Unless we allow our sorrow to consume us, tears are temporary and necessary, because they wash away the grief in our soul, and we eventually experience hope and enjoy life once more (Psalm 30:5).

Prayer:
Father God, thank You for walking with us through the valleys we experience during times of loss. Help us to allow them to last as long as they need to in order for us to heal. We can have the faith to know that as we trust You with the next chapter of our life, that our grief will diminish and be less intense. Please strengthen our inner being to face our fears and to allow You to reshape our expectations of life.

Remind us that searching Your Word for verses pertaining to faith and comfort will help us to face our fears, and guide and encourage us on our journey toward healing. We rely on Your power and compassion to provide for all of our mental, emotional, physical, financial and spiritual needs both now and throughout our life. We trust in You with our whole heart, and we know without a doubt that You will comfort us in our grief.

Thought for the Day:
Healing Verses to Live By

Psalm 30:5 …“Weeping may endure for a night, But joy comes in the morning.” NKJV

Psalm 94:18-19… “Your mercy, O LORD, will hold me up. In the multitude of my anxieties within me, Your comforts delight my soul.” NKJV

Psalm 34:19… “Many are the afflictions of the righteous, But the LORD delivers him out of them all.” NKJV

Joshua 1:5... “No one will be able to oppose you as long as you live, for I will be with you just as I was with Moses; I will not abandon you or fail to help you. “ TLB

Matthew 6:34... "So don't be anxious about tomorrow. God will take care of your tomorrow too. Live one day at a time.” TLB

2 Thessalonians 2:16-17… “Now may our Lord Jesus Christ Himself, and our God and Father, who has loved us and given us everlasting consolation and good hope by grace, comfort your hearts and establish you in every good word and work.” NKJV

Jeremiah 29:11-13… “For I know the plans I have for you," says the Lord. "They are plans for good and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. 12 In those days when you pray, I will listen. 13 You will find me when you seek me, if you look for me in earnest.” TLB

Psalm 62:5-8… “My soul, wait silently for God alone,
For my expectation is from Him. He only is my rock and my salvation; Why are you cast down, O my soul? And why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God, for I shall yet praise Him for the help of His countenance. O my God, my soul is cast down within me; Therefore, I will remember You.” NKJV

Psalm 9:9-11 …“The LORD also will be a refuge for the oppressed, A refuge in times of trouble.  And those who know Your name will put their trust in You; For You, LORD, have not forsaken those who seek You. Sing praises to the LORD, who dwells in Zion! Declare His deeds among the people.” NKJV

Psalm 27:5-6…“For in the time of trouble He shall hide me in His pavilion; in the secret place of His tabernacle He shall hide me; He shall set me high upon a rock. And now my head shall be lifted up above my enemies all around me; Therefore, I will offer sacrifices of joy in His tabernacle; I will sing, yes, I will sing praises to the LORD.” NKJV

1 Peter 5:6-9… “If you will humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, in his good time he will lift you up. 7 Let him have all your worries and cares, for he is always thinking about you and watching everything that concerns you. 8 Be careful - watch out for attacks from Satan, your great enemy. He prowls around like a hungry, roaring lion, looking for some victim to tear apart. 9 Stand firm when he attacks. Trust the Lord; and remember that other Christians all around the world are going through these sufferings too.” TLB